3 Contact Hours
When an individual has a hearing impairment, access to information is restricted. Assistive technologies can provide assistance in the input of information via sensory systems. In this entry-level course for occupational and physical therapists and assistants as well as speech pathologists, we focus on assistive technologies designed to meet the needs of persons with auditory limitations. This includes sensory aids that are intended for general use as well as assistive technologies that are used specifically for providing auditory access to computers.
Audience: OT, COTA, PT, PTA, SLP
Skill Level: Entry-level
Contact Hours: 3
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA
Teaching Methods: Course content includes text from, "Essentials Of Assistive Technologies (2012)" Written by Albert M. Cook, PhD, PE and Jan Miller Polgar, PhD, OT Reg. (Ont.). Copyright 2012 Elsevier, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Used with Permission.
Criteria for Passing: Each learner must complete all learning activities/handouts and pass a final exam to receive credit.
By the end of this course, each learner will be able to:
- Describe the major types of hearing loss and their cause
- Describe the types of hearing aids and their features
- Describe how common devices can be adapted for use by a person who is hard of hearing or deaf
- List ways that people who are hard of hearing or deaf can use telephones
- Describe how computer outputs are adapted for individuals with auditory limitations
- Discuss the major approaches used to support communication for individuals who are deaf and blind
Here is the course outline:
Please read the introduction to provide you with important information and tips about your course.
2. Course Objectives - Introduction To Sensory Aids For Persons With Hearing Impairments
Click to view course objectives.
3. Coursework - Introduction To Sensory Aids For Persons With Hearing Impairments
Click to view coursework.
4. Course Final and Survey - Introduction To Sensory Aids For Persons With Hearing Impairments
A description of the lesson goes here.
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Certificate of Completion|