This entry-level course for occupational and physical therapists and assistants as well as speech pathologists focuses on assistive technologies used to aid or replace skills as a result of cognitive deficits that impede performance in functional activities. The expected skills and limitations presented in this course are general and every individual is unique. The case study “Intellectual Disability and the Tasks of Daily Living” illustrates how assistive technologies can be identified and applied to meet cognitive needs.
Audience: OT, COTA, PT, PTA, SLP
Skill Level: Entry-level
Contact Hours: 5
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA
Teaching Methods: Course content includes text from, "Essentials Of Assistive Technologies (2012)" Written by Albert M. Cook, PhD, PE and Jan Miller Polgar, PhD, OT Reg. (Ont.). Copyright 2012 Elsevier, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Used with Permission.
Criteria for Passing: Each learner must complete all learning activities/handouts and pass a final exam to receive credit.
By the end of this course, each learner will be able to:
- Apply the HAAT model to help identify appropriate assistive technologies for individuals with cognitive disabilities
- Identify cognitive skills that underlie functional performance for persons with cognitive disabilities
- Understand what cognitive faculties are commonly compromised in specific disorders
- Understand the role of assistive technologies in aiding cognitive function
- Identify and describe some of the assistive technologies that are currently available to assist individuals with cognitive impairments
Here is the course outline:
Please read the introduction to provide you with important information and tips about your course.
2. Course Objectives
Click to view course objectives.
Click to view course materials. Completion of all coursework is required to pass this course as well as to have access to the final exam.
4. Course Final and Survey
Click to take the final exam. Remember, all coursework must be complete to access the final and pass this course.
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Certificate of Completion|