5 Contact Hours
Description: Executive functioning is an umbrella term that refers to the complex cognitive processing required to achieve a particular goal. This course provides therapists with an overview of impaired executive functioning as a result of stroke, TBI, dementia, Parkinson’s Disease, or other related neurological disorders. Evaluation and assessment tools will be discussed as well as specific therapeutic interventions to improve executive functioning to optimize overall function in your clients. This entry-level to intermediate course is appropriate for occupational therapists and assistants.
Audience: OT, COTA
Skill Level: Basic to Intermediate
Contact Hours: 5
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Teaching Methods: Course content includes text from, "Cognitive and Perceptual Rehabilitation: Optimizing Function (2009)" written by Glen Gillen, EdD, OTR, FAOTA, - Copyright 2009 Elsevier, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Criteria for Passing: Each learner must complete all learning activities/handouts and pass a final exam to receive credit.
By the end of this course, each learner will be able to:
- Understand the various cognitive processes that are termed executive functions.
- Understand how everyday living is affected if a dysexecutive syndrome is present.
- Be aware of evaluation and assessment procedures related to testing executive functions in the context of everyday living.
- Implement at least five intervention strategies focused on decreasing activity limitations and participation restrictions for those living with dysexecutive syndrome.
Here is the course outline:
Please read the introduction to provide you with important information and tips about your course.
2. Course Objectives - Managing Executive Function Impairments to Optimize Function
Click to view course objectives.
3. Coursework - Managing Executive Function Impairments to Optimize Function
Click to view coursework.
4. Course Final and Survey - Managing Executive Function Impairments to Optimize Function
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Certificate of Completion|