5 Contact Hours
The client’s initial hand or UE evaluation sets the stage for successful rehabilitation. The evaluation establishes rapport, determines the areas of functional deficit, and serves as the foundation for treatment and recovery. Only with an accurate assessment can the therapist determine the best course of treatment for the client’s condition. This introductory course provides a comprehensive overview of a typical hand and/or UE evaluation, providing a valuable reference to improve assessment skills necessary to optimize clinical outcomes. This course is appropriate for occupational and physical therapists.
Audience: OT, PT
Skill Level: introductory
Contact Hours: 5
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA
Teaching Methods: Course content includes text from, "Fundamentals of Hand Therapy: Clinical reasoning and treatment guidelines for common diagnoses of the upper extremity (2007)" Edited by Cynthia Cooper, MFA, MA, OTR/L, CHT - Copyright 2009 Elsevier, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Used with Permission.
Criteria for Passing: Each learner must complete all learning activities/handouts and pass a final exam to receive credit.
By the end of this course, each learner will be able to:
- Conduct an initial patient interview;
- Have a general understanding of how to assess pain;
- Have a general understanding of how to assess wounds;
- Have a general understanding of how to administer a basic vascular assessment;
- Have an understanding of how to properly assess range of motion in the upper extremity;
- Have a general understanding of how to assess swelling/edema;
- Have a general understanding of how to assess sensation;
- Have a a general understanding of how to properly administer strength testing.
Here is the course outline:
Please read the introduction to provide you with important information and tips about your course.
2. Course Objectives - Evaluation of the Hand and Upper Extremity
Click to view course objectives.
3. Coursework - Evaluation of the Hand and Upper Extremity
Click to view course materials.
4. Course Final and Survey - Evaluation of the Hand and Upper Extremity
Click to take final exam. Completion of all course materials is required to access the final.
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Certificate of Completion|