5 Contact Hours
Exercise is the single most effective intervention for older adults used by therapists. This course discusses the role of physical activity and exercise, effects of a sedentary lifestyle, elements of effective exercise strategies, and different types of exercise applications for older adults. This entry-level to intermediate level course provides valuable learning for occupational and physical therapists and assistants.
Audience: PT, PTA, OT, COTA
Skill Level: Entry Level to Intermediate
Contact Hours: 5
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA
Teaching Methods: Course content includes text from "Geriatric Physical Therapy, 3rd Ed." edited by Andrew A. Guccione, PT, PhD, DPT, FAPTA; Rita A. Wong, EdD, PT; Dale Avers, PT, DPT, PhD - Copyright 2012 Elsevier, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Criteria for Passing: Each learner must complete all learning activities/handouts and pass a final exam to receive credit.
Course Objectives: At the completion of this course you will be able to:
1. Understand and discuss the role and benefit of physical activity for older adults.
2. Understand and discuss the physical effects of growing older.
3. Understand and discuss physical stress theory and how it applies to prescribing physical exercise for older adults.
4. Describe and discuss at least eight elements of an exercise prescription.
5. Describe and discuss at least six different types of exercises for older adults.
Here is the course outline:
Please read the introduction to provide you with important information and tips about your course.
2. Course Objectives - Exercise and Physical Activity for Older Adults
Click to view course objectives.
3. Coursework - Exercise and Physical Activity for Older Adults
Click to view course materials.
4. Course Final and Survey - Exercise and Physical Activity for Older Adults
Click to take final exam. Completion of course materials is required in order to have access to the final.
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Certificate of Completion|