5 Contact Hours
Description: Therapists working with geriatrics need to have a basic understanding of the beneficial and adverse effects of medication on therapy. This intermediate course discusses the pertinent aspects of geriatric pharmacology with specific emphasis on how drug therapy can affect older individuals receiving occupational and physical therapy. This course provides valuable information for occupational and physical therapists and assistants.
Course Text (required): Geriatric Physical Therapy, 3rd Ed. edited by Andrew A. Guccione, PT, PhD, DPT, FAPTA; Rita A. Wong, EdD, PT; Dale Avers, PT, DPT, PhD - Copyright 2012 Elsevier, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Audience: PT, PTA, OT, COTA
Skill Level: Intermediate
Contact Hours: 5
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA
Teaching Methods: Course content includes text from "Geriatric Physical Therapy, 3rd Ed." edited by Andrew A. Guccione, PT, PhD, DPT, FAPTA; Rita A. Wong, EdD, PT; Dale Avers, PT, DPT, PhD - Copyright 2012 Elsevier, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Criteria for Passing: Each learner must complete all learning activities/handouts and pass a final exam to receive credit.
At the completion of this course you will be able to:
1. Discuss the problems with polypharmacy;
2. Discuss and identify altered responses to drugs in older adults;
3. Discuss and identify adverse drug reactions in older adults;
4. Discuss and identify common drug classes commonly used in older adults and the related affects these drugs have on rehabilitation;
5. Implement strategies for coordinating rehabilitation with drug treatment in older adults.
Here is the course outline:
Please read the introduction to provide you with important information and tips about your course.
2. Course Objectives - Geriatric Pharmacology
Click to view course objectives.
3. Coursework - Geriatric Pharmacology
Click to view course materials.
4. Course Final and Survey - Geriatric Pharmacology
Click to take final exam. Completion of coursework is required to access the final.
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Certificate of Completion|